Thursday, January 7, 2010

One Week of Pescetarianism

We're a week in, and I don't miss meat...at all. I expected to crave a steak by now, but I don't. I've been eating pretty healthily the past seven days (although today I ate a Butterfinger thanks to the snack cart during lunch).

I'm also reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, which has been mildly inspiring and incredibly interesting. Corn. It has taken over.

School has begun, as well, so I'm bringing lunch every day -- I don't have the luxury of a longer lunch this semester (sad face), but this is good in a way because it forces me to bring something from home. Money-saving and healthy.

That being said, it hasn't all been good. Nicole made dinner last night -- tofu stir-fry -- and I HATED it. I couldn't eat it. It smelled so good, but I can't even express to you the disgust I felt when I bit into it. Bless her, she tried. And, to be fair, she warned me in advance: when I walked in, she warned me that it didn't taste good.
"But it smells delicious!"
Yes, it smelled delicious...and that is where the deliciousness ended.

Vegan month is swiftly approaching. I plan on spending a lot of time and money at Whole Foods. We really have to -- what could we possibly eat at a regular grocery store?

I've been researching vegan recipes -- they seem like a good idea in theory.

But so did last night's dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Have you guys looked at Crescent Dragonwagon's Passionate Vegetarian? It's the best Veg cookbook I've *ever* used and several of the recipies are either Vegan or have options to make them so. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI, I was vegan for three years and have not only lots of easy, inexpensive and tasty vegan recipes, but also tricks for shopping for vegan foods at a regular grocery store. Hit me up at the alley and I'll help you out.

    andie

    ReplyDelete