Monday, February 1, 2010

Freagin' Vegan

We have begun vegan month!

Vegetarian month went well, although I don't feel like I ate any healthier than normal. It wasn't hard to eliminate meat from my "diet," but now that vegan month has started, I can see how this month is going to be very...interesting.

Mind you: it's day one.

One of Nicole's brother's friends, Lilly, took us shopping last week to Vitamin Cottage to teach us the ways of the vegan. I was surprised by how many options there are out there for vegans...although let's be honest, is there any such thing as good fake cheese? (We shall find out) Buying just about everything in the store was less expensive than we thought...and we bought a lot of stuff.

Here are some things we learned:
1. Boca is vegan; Morning Star is not necessarily.
2. Sugar is not vegan -- unprocessed cane sugar is. (Apparently they use animal bone to grind the sugar and make it white? Is that correct?)
3. They make No Chicken Noodle soup. Wow.
4. We bought a slew of food, but no tofu. Weird.
5. Vitamin Cottage is NOT nearly as expensive as Whole Foods.

Anyway, it was an interesting trip.

Over the past few weeks, I was preparing myself for the lack of cow's milk, so I tried soy (tasted almond-y to me) and coconut milk (gag)...but the winner? Rice milk. Oh my heavens, it's so delicious. Goodbye, cow's milk!

Plus, I get to drink horchata....mmmm.

But yes, rice milk has won the day. I love it in my vegan cereal (seriously. Vegan cereal!), my coffee...it's amazing.

I want to see how much variety we really get this month. I'm kind of excited about it, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment