Monday, February 8, 2010

Veganism for Libby

Okay, so I love veganism. I never saw this coming. Nicole thinks that this is one of my obsessions, and that I'll get over it. It may be. But it doesn't feel like an obsession.

The hardest day so far was yesterday: Super Bowl Sunday. Jen and Wyndy hosted a party, and they had a slew of delicious food, with almost nothing for our vegan-ness. Queso, summer sausage, and what I love the absolute most: buffalo wings. It was....difficult. But I restrained! Definitely tempting, but I had to tell myself (numerous times) no. Oh, buffalo wings. I miss thee.

Honestly, though, I only missed them because I saw them. I'm not craving them. And after the party, when we were driving home, I didn't feel like I weighed 500 pounds (I kept with our hummus and bean dip), which I know I would have had I eaten everything I wanted.

Today, I made some fried plantains for lunch with a touch of salt. I don't know if Nicole has ever had them, so I'll make some for her as a snack one day. I also made an avocado, tomato, and kalamata olive salad with ground flaxseeds. So. Incredibly. Delicious.

For dinner, I'm making eggplant and couscous. Hopefully, Nicole likes it -- she has NOT enjoyed vegan month at all.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite thing about being vegan was how aware I was of what I was eating. Even when I ate shit food (and there is vegan junk food, FYI) I knew exactly what I was doing. I think its super empowering in a culture where we are distanced from our food so much.

    I'm so glad you're enjoying vegan month! Good job!


    Andie

    ReplyDelete