Thursday, October 8, 2009

More thoughts on working out

Who would think that I'd be obsessively posting/reading about running? I don't get it. I don't know where it came from, but I like it. Nicole likes it, too. We're working out together, not in a competitive way, but in a loving, "keep going, babe" kind of way.

Last night, while we were lifting weights, I started to get a headache, and decided I wouldn't do the last two machines since I didn't feel up to it. Nicole said, flat out: "That sounds like the old Libby Colorado."

And it struck me. Was I making an excuse so I wouldn't have to finish? Do I like the idea of being an athlete / of working out, but can't follow through? I had to see.

She left to walk around the gym (she was finished with her machines), and I decided to buckle down and try. There were only two machines left, why not? So I did three reps on both of them. I could have stopped at two, but I felt I had something to prove. A headache from doing an ab workout was not going to stop me. My weight gain was not going to stop me. My brain telling me, "You're done, take a break" was not going to stop me. I had to push through.

I've read a lot of people's comments about running -- how even after they've been runners for years, the first mile or two SUCKS. It hurts. You have to find a rhythm. One person said that she hates the first two miles, wants to quit every time, but after those two miles are done, she can run for ten easily. And she has never quit.

I quit smoking (64 days!), I quit drinking soda, and I quit fast food. I don't need to quit anything else. I'm going to push through. Tomorrow is Week 2, Day 3 -- and we're going to run in the early morning.

By the way, and just so it's out there (again), I love my wife.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Libby! I know to quit smoking is difficult and if you can do that, you can do anything. Isn't so nice to work out with someone you love? I need to convince my old man to quit smoking and get running. But I guess you can't force someone to make that decision, can I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Just like the first hill you ride after the three you have to push the bike -- once you've walked those three, the rest is pure glory!

    I noticed this weekend, more than ever, that the first few miles take the wind out of my sails. But the harder I push, the sooner I find my pace, and the sooner the push gets to be a steady, comfortable rhythm. It's a rhythm that's all mine, and it feels SO good.

    ReplyDelete